The Catholic Museum of Bagamoyo tells the history of slavery and German Colonialism, and the history of missions in East Africa. Bagamoyo Parish has the honor of being the “Mother of all Parishes in East Africa.” There is much history here, having been an early centre of inland expeditions like the search for the source of the Nile River (see post on David Livingstone), and it was the focal point for the abolition of the slave trade in the 19th century.
Sent by Bishop Armand Maupoint from St. Denis/Reunion Island east of Madagascar, Spiritan missionaries established the Catholic Parish of Bagamoyo on July, 17, 1868. Their mission was to fight slavery from the African mainland. Led by Father Superior Anthony Horner, a Freedom Village was established on the North side of Bagamoyo. They established an Elementary School and a Vocational Center teaching carpentry, blacksmithing and farming. Many other missions started from this Parish.