I finally did it. After too many years of “could you just look at my computer?” I finally have my new “Swiss-Army-Knife-on-a-Flash-Drive,” dedicated to the Quick Fix– seven folders of categorized software for all that ails a PC.
It is not the perfect list, and it is only recently bootable, but below are the contents of my “Freeware” folder– a baker’s dozen top freeware titles, complete with download links. Now, all I have to do is just plug it in to a USB port, and drag-and-drop the folder to their Desktop– no fast internet required. All you need to do is get an 8 GB flash drive, make your own folders, and download these files to a single folder. Your friends and family will think you are a genius.
Updated January 28, 2015.
My Freeware Folder for Win7 64-bit
- Adobe Reader XI–View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- AVG AntiVirus Free 2015–One of the top antivirus programs.
- Spybot Search & Destroy–Popular free anti-malware.
- Belarc Advisor–Show a PC audit with details on hardware and software.
- CutePDF Writer–Print to Adobe PDF.
- Glary Utilities–Fix, speed up, maintain, and protect your PC.
- Google Chrome 64-bit–Explore the Web using Google’s super-fast browser.
- Google Earth–View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, and buildings.
- IrfanView–More popular than PhotoShop; easier to use.
- Java Runtime Environment (JRE) (64-Bit)–Run Java apps on Windows PCs.
- Libre Office–Five Star Rating from c|net for office productivity freeware.
- VLC Media Player–Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Skype— Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
More Top Freeware
- Avast Antivirus–New top downloads for free antivirus.
- Adobe Flash Player–View Flash multimedia content through your browser.
- ZoneAlarm— The world’s #1 free firewall solution, trusted by millions of people.
- Comodo Firewall–If ZoneAlarm seems too intrusive, try Comodo Firewall.
- OpenOffice.org–Popular open-source approach to office productivity.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware–Remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Opera Browser–Nice browser.
- Somud–Download, record and share.
- KMPlayer— Play digital media of various formats with 3D and WiDi support.
- Smart Defrag 2— Perform disk fragmentation and speed up your computer in minutes.
- MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition— Move, resize, copy, explore, and recover.
- Advanced SystemCare— Diagnose and Maintain PC performance.
- YTD Video Downloader— Formerly known as YouTube Downloader.
- GIMP— Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Macrium Reflect Free— Most Popular Back-up Freeware.
- EaseUS Todo Backup Free— C|Net Editor’s Choice Back-up Freeware.