Captain Charles K. Phillips
A RESOLUTION HONORING THE LIFE OF CAPTAIN CHARLES K. PHILLIPS
WHEREAS Captain Charles K. Phillips, U.S.N. (ret.), born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on December 18, 1914, who departed this life in Nacogdoches, Texas, on April 16, 2004, was a career officer in the U.S. Navy, a member of the faculty of the business school at Stephen F. Austin State University, an avid proponent of historical preservation in East Texas, and a life member of the East Texas Historical Association; and
WHEREAS, Charles K. Phillips received his undergraduate degree from the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, then served his country in the Navy during World War II as the supply officer of the USS Massachusetts, and following the war continued his naval career serving as commanding officer of the Naval Supply Depot, Great Lakes, Illinois, and as dean of the Resident School of the Industrial College of the Armed Forces; and
WHEREAS, Charles K. Phillips studied at the Graduate School of Business at Harvard University, received his M.S. degree in business administration from George Washington University , and, following his retirement from the Navy in 1966, joined the faculty at Stephen F. Austin State University ; and
WHEREAS, Charles K. Phillips distinguished himself as a practitioner of historic preservation and restoration, supervising the restoration of structures including the Sterne-Hoya House (c.1832), a National Register of Historic Places site and Texas Historic Landmark; the Tol Barret House (1840), a National Register of Historic Places site; the John Marion Sparks House (1850), Texas Historic Landmark; the Acosta-Durst-Taylor House (c. 1828), Texas Historic Landmark; and the Victor Jefferson Simpson House (1855); and
WHEREAS, Charles K. Phillips promoted historic preservation by serving as the chair of Nacogdoches County Historical Commission, as a member of the City of Nacogdoches Landmark Preservation Committee, as president of the Friends of the Adolphus Sterne House, Inc., as chairman of the History Committee of the Nacogdoches County Chamber of Commerce, and as a member of the Board of Directors of the Historic House Association of America; and
WHEREAS, Charles K. Phillips was recognized for his contribution to historic preservation by twice receiving the East Texas Historical Association’s Lucille Terry Award, in 1986 for his work on the Adolphus Sterne House and in 1990 for his work on the Tol Barret House, by receiving the Nacogdoches County Chamber of Commerce Service Award for Preservation, by being made an honorary member of the Adolphus Sterne Chapter of the Sons of the Republic of Texas, and by receiving the Daughters of the American Revolution’s National Award for Outstanding Achievement in Historic Preservation; and
WHEREAS, Charles K. Phillips served as President of the East Texas Historical Association and received its Ralph Steen Award,
BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED, that the membership of the East Texas Historical Association laments the passing of this “good and faithful servant” on April 16, 2004, extends sympathy to his family and friends; and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that a copy of this resolution be spread upon the minutes of the Annual Meeting and another presented as is appropriate to the family of Charles K. Phillips, that they may know of the love and esteem in which he is yet held by all.
APPROVED THIS TWENTY-FIFTH DAY OF SEPTEMBER 2004.
Gail K Beil, President, 2003-2004
Archie P. McDonald, Executive Director